Author Topic: Torrents  (Read 320 times)

Description:

r9453

Torrents
« on: Sat 2017-03-11, 20:38:46 pm »
The latest batch of mis-labelled torrents has just about been the last straw for me. Torrents have served the community well for many years but are they past their use-by date? The daily grind of scanning WTRF, setting up new downloads, checking and filing the completions is mind-numbingly boring not to mention inefficient. Surely there has got to be a better way? Cloud-based storage, a dedicated LB server or a subscription service - easy for me to say, I know. Last time I checked those options all seemed unaffordable but is that still the case?

r9453

Re: Torrents
« Reply #1 on: Fri 2017-04-07, 18:44:44 pm »
Some days I wake up and there are more Bob Dylan torrents than I can poke a stick at.

theTwinWithin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun 2017-04-09, 18:37:56 pm »
I know that feeling. Late in the evening you think you covered everything and then, the next morning, you discover that the rest of the world wasn't asleep, but was busy uploading.

r9453

« Reply #3 on: Sun 2017-04-09, 21:35:40 pm »
Your job is much harder, I simply take WTRF at face value and download anything I don't have.

Now, I'm away from home and I can see the new torrents being posted but I will have to wait until I get back to catch up.

theTwinWithin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon 2017-04-10, 07:31:54 am »
There are several clients you can use with webui, so you can start torrents from a distance. With Windows I used uTorrent, but now I switched to Ubuntu I find Qbittorrent more user friendly. From holiday, from work, from downstairs or from the garden it all works fine as long as you have an internet connection.

r9453

« Reply #5 on: Mon 2017-04-10, 17:47:48 pm »
Internet connections don't work all that well in Australia at the best of times. I assume what you are referring to would require a computer to be connected and running at home. These days I have a laptop which I take with me when I travel.

A few years ago I bought a computer specifically to run Linux, I think I used Debian at the time. I was happy enough but it was an experiment and I always kept my windows box until in the end the Linux machine got put aside. Some time later I set it up to try again but the box was completely dead and I scrapped it.

r9453

« Reply #6 on: Wed 2017-05-24, 22:31:55 pm »
Is it possible to share files with BT without a web based front end?

EDIT:

"Clients that have already begun downloading a file communicate with the tracker periodically to negotiate faster file transfer with new peers, and provide network performance statistics; however, after the initial peer-to-peer file download is started, peer-to-peer communication can continue without the connection to a tracker. Since the creation of the distributed hash table (DHT) method for "Trackerless" torrents, BitTorrent trackers have largely become redundant, however, they are still often included with torrents to improve the speed of peer discovery."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tracker
« Last Edit: Wed 2017-05-24, 22:35:45 pm by r9453 »

theTwinWithin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu 2017-05-25, 09:20:41 am »
That's why you can still go on downloading when a torrent is banned. The seeder must go on seeding otherwise the leechers are stuck inside of mobile. This doesn't go on all the tracker.

r9453

« Reply #8 on: Tue 2017-07-11, 18:32:53 pm »
These recent troubles with the torrent sites only re-enforce my point. Perhaps new recordings can be put into circulation via DIME etc. and the existing LB file sets shared with cloud based setups like what goes on at ER or the DropBox team I'm currently trying to get going.

anything